Pages

Thursday 20 June 2019

Corrosion - Science

In science, we are currently investigating corrosion and how other things can either speed up, slow down, or stall completely the corrosion process. We are currently doing an experiment where we have different iron nails and put them in different conditions. We have a nail in oil, a nail covered in nail polish in water, a nail with magnesium strips around it, in water,  a nail sitting in a mixture of water and Calcium Chloride, and a nail sitting in saltwater.

I'm not completely sure what is going to happen but here are some of my hypothesis

Nail in Saltwater: I think the nail will corrode a decent amount but not much

Nail in Oil: I don't think the nail will corrode

Nail covered in Nail polish: I don't think this nail corrode either

Nail with magnesium strips around it: I'm not sure what will happen

Nail in Calcium water: I think the nail will have been covered in gas from the reaction and not corrode

Observations:

Nail in Saltwater: The nail corroded/rusted not too much but a decent amount

Nail in Oil: The nail did not corrode at all

Nail covered in Nail Polish: The nail polish created a coating that stopped corrosion

Nail with magnesium strips: The strips rusted as well as the nail, probably had the most corrosion

Nail in Calcium water: The nail corroded slightly less than the nail in the salt water

Thank you for reading my blog, I had a lot of fun with this experiment and hope to do more like it
Please comment feedback as it helps my learning

1 comment:

  1. Hi Logan, Great Blog. Why do you think the different options caused different amounts of corrosion? what causes corrosion?
    Next time, it would be great to see a conclusion and discussion. These sections are used to explain if your hypotheses are right, and why (the science behind) the results are happening, once your experiment is completed.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.